HISTORICAL PARK of the Battle of Tolentino
The project “HISTORICAL PARK of the Battle of Tolentino” making connection through a cultural route, including sites which have played a ruolorilevante during the Battle of Tolentino on 2 and 3 May 1815.
It was fought between the army of Gioacchino Murat, King of Naples and the Austrian Baron Federico Bianchi and ‘considered by many historians as the First Battle of Independence Italian.
The aims are:
– Conservation and development of real estate, architectural and historical;
– Restoration and upgrading of the natural environment and the surrounding area;
– Creation of an educational and informative allowing the widest public use;
– Creation of areas equipped for the study and development of traditional activities.
It must be an open-air book; immerse themselves in the past to revive him and get to know everyone.
A new way to get into the “story.”
The Park Historic-Cultural caters to a wide and general public at national and international level, particularly with regard to students of all levels.
Educational programs for schools or groups can approach the story in a different way from the classrooms, more engaging and straightforward, and instill a particular passion.
The Guided Tours organized in a systematic and open to all, found considerable interest by the demand for cultural tourism and broaden the academic and specialized approach.
The promotion and advertising of the same, play a very important role for the fruition of historical and artistic heritage linked to the events.
The collaboration with some organizations and industry associations (Italian Touring Club – Archeoclub – Italian Environment Fund) can do more of appreciation and identification of beneficiaries.
The intervention would lead to the establishment of the First HISTORICAL PARK TAGS.
Article. 55 of the Technical Implementation of the Regional Environmental Landscape Plan of the Region Marche already promoted the establishment of the parks history and culture, indicating that:
“Shall be construed as areas to be organized in a unified manner and in which, for the importance of historical, cultural, archaeological, natural and structure of the surrounding landscape and environment, it is appropriate for the establishment of specially equipped areas for study and enjoyment environment with regard to the development of those traditional activities that can support the economic and social growth of the community and residents that are competitors to the objectives of conservation and enhancement of the environment. “
The Project consists in the recovery and qualification of the ten most significant sites of the Battle of Tolentino, Tolentino located as well as in the municipalities of Polloch and Macerata:
– Delimitation of the areas and accommodation areas;
– The placing of information devices and an indication of signposted walking routes;
– Identification of areas with parking and setting up reception services.
Within the more important of them, the Rancia Castle, and ‘planned the establishment of the Museum of the Battle of Tolentino and ARMS, with its Documentation Centre Bibliografica and Photographic; well as a detailed Diorama of the Battle of approximately m.5 x 2.
The replica of a cannon at the time, that every week shoot a series of blanks, and the presence of the Historical Group “2nd Cavalry Regiment – Neapolitan Army 1808-15”, consisting of the Association Tolentino 815, it certainly makes the environment more suggestive.
THE Multimedia CD-Rom “The Battle of Tolentino” in Italian, French and English, brings together all the existing information on the event, and the possible implications on the Historical Re-enactment that takes place since 1996.
The publication of a guide to the places of battle, in the multilingual version, the tool will provide immediate depth.
On a regular basis can be organized by specialized operators GUIDED TOURS open to everyone, including shuttle service, while for Schools will be specially agreed.
The active element of the Historical Park and ‘mainly the event “TOLENTINO 815 – Historical Re-enactment of the Battle of Tolentino”, organized since 1996 once a year in early May, alternating reconstruction of the battle and gathering historical military bands.
It goes far beyond ‘the memory of an armed conflict to deepen the knowledge of customs and traditions of our past, help us to improve the present and strengthen the “culture of peace”.
The dense and complex program of collateral events including the involvement of institutions, associations, educational institutions, businesses and citizens and mainly develops in a period of ten days.
During this time you offer daily events that represent and bring to life a slice of life in the early nineteenth century in several aspects: artistic, musical, recreational, cultural and gastronomic.
Very interesting and ‘the military with the setting up of a camp town and the participation of re-enactors, components Historical Groups of various European countries, in uniform, equipment and weapons of the time.
The soldier’s life is reconstructed just as took place almost two hundred years ago: regimentation, maneuvers, parades, mock battle, rations, patrol service.
It is characterized as a Unique Military Reenactment of Central South Italy, of great national and international significance and can be defined as a prime example of “experimental archeology”.
The outdoor performance, such as a street theater, and in the places where they ‘made the Battle in 1815, is a highly spectacular event, educational, peaceful and engaging; opportunity to culture and leisure, through a kind of “story living. ”
With the aim of deepening every possible aspect historical and scientific, foster research on the bones of the fallen of the Battle of Tolentino, through an interdisciplinary approach.
They have led to the development of the “1st INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE of Osteo-Archaeology of the Napoleonic battlefields,” by and at the University of Camerino.
The aim was also to propose to the scientific community the site of Tolentino as a model for archaeological and anthropological research of the Napoleonic battlefields and center of reference for meetings between scholars.
The realization of the Battle of Tolentino HISTORICAL PARK is through the installation of the site and subsequent installation of typological elements such as repetitive characterize a unit the entire route, and at the same time, according to the peculiarities of each place, have a particular identity tied to each specific event that characterizes it.
The sites of the Historic Park are identified as follows.
1) – Palace Bezzi – Parisani, I took lodgings Baron Federico Bianchi, commander of the Austrian army, in 1797 there was signed the Treaty of Tolentino between Napoleon Bonaparte and the representatives of Pope Pius VI.
2) – Tower San Catervo, it was the home to the headquarters of the Austrians on the first day of the battle.
3) – Former church in the district of Tank, there is buried an officer in the Austrian army of Italian origin, perhaps shot for making harmless ammunition in order to save “fraternal lives.”
4) – Ossuary in the district Salcombe, contains the remains of fallen discovered in the area. And ‘place near the mansions Benadduci, used as the second day of the battle as a hospital and headquarters of the Austrian army.
5) – Casone, strategically important for being the center of the battle, between the Castle and the Rancia Cantagallo.
6) – Ossuary Monument in the district Rotondo, where they were burned and buried the remains of many soldiers commemorated with a monument erected in 1961.
7) – Rancia Castle, the scene of bloody clashes between the two armies.
It takes place in late April / early May, the Historical Re-enactment of the Battle of Tolentino.
Seat of the Museum of the Battle and ARMS, with Bibliographical Center for Documentation and Photographic and scale diorama of the Battle.
8) – Ossuary in the district Cantagallo, contains the remains of some soldiers and is near a church clashes in this area, on the second day of battle, were important for the final outcome.
9) – House Sileoni / Tesei, positioned at the top of the hill Cantagallo, from which the King of Naples directed some crucial stages of the battle.
10) – Palace Towers, I took lodgings King Joachim Murat and was home to the headquarters of the Neapolitan army.
The HISTORICAL PARK of the Battle of Tolentino, first of its kind in the Marche region, may be the center of Tourist Interest for the whole year, of Tolentino, the surrounding area and the province.
The Museum of the Battle of weapons and with the Diorama, located inside the Castle Rancia of Tolentino, will act as a catalyst towards a growing movement of cultural tourism.
Following the substantial number of visitors there will be a significant economic impact of tourist related industries (public and commercial, hotels, tourism associations).